Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gale Reads: Introduction

Hello everyone! I have decided to do a "Gale Reads" section here in my blog to share my love of books. I wanted to do reviews on the novels I have read and give you recommendations on what to get from the bookstore. I am a bookworm at heart. Honestly, I can't remember a time that I don't have a book with me. Even when I was still a young girl, I always found myself reading and reading and reading instead of playing outdoors or watching TV. I am called a nerd by a lot of people, my family included hehe, because I can stay in one place as long as I have a good book in my hands ^_^

I started with fairytale and Children Encyclopedias when I was in elementary. When I reached Grade 5, I got into Sweet Valley Twins, Baby Sitters' Club and Archie Comics. When I entered High School, I changed my interest and fell in love with historical romance novels because I always love a good love story. Aside from love stories with happy endings, I also am into what you call paranormal genre. I love stories about witches, vampires, werewolves, and other magical creatures.

So to sum it up, here are what I am looking for in a book to make me attracted to it.

- Writing Quality: Writing style must be good. I hate seeing grammatical errors and wrong spelling when I'm reading. I tend to lose interest with a book and even the author if like in the middle of the story the author will switch up the character names or the scenes have moved back and forth un-smoothly and you get dizzy trying to get a grip on what's really happening in the story. So yeah, I'm quite sensitive with these things.

- Ending: I will always love a happy ending. I'm a fairytale fan at heart and will always want a fairytale ending... "and they live happily ever after" type of conclusion to a story. I tend to hate a story that has sad ending like Romeo and Juliet.

- Story: I tend to gravitate to books about love. I am such a romantic that I always wanted to fall in love with the characters while I'm reading. And of course, I love books that can make me feel I am the heroine of the story and falling in love with the main character ^_^

- Genre and Authors: I only love romance novels...and it usually comes in three categories for me - historical, paranormal and contemporary.

When it comes to historical and contemporary romance, I only read books by Julie Garwood and Johanna Lindsey. I tried others but I always go back to them. I have never been disappointed in any of their works and I am almost done collecting all their works. So you might see me doing an in-depth review for a lot of their works especially my favorite ones :)

But paranormal romance is another story. There are a lot of authors jumping into the bandwagon of creating stories about vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches and angels because of the boom in the number of readers but not all of them are worth reading. It is really hard to choose which books to get and read. So what I do is, I read reviews online about storylines that I want and then download an ebook of the book that got good reviews. If I liked the story and the author's writing style, then I buy a hard copy to keep in my collection.

I love the idea about ebook and it gave me a chance to save my money. I can read a lot of books without buying them. I will always be thankful for that but nothing can compare with the feeling of contentment while you are holding a real book and flipping through the pages. So yeah, I will always get a hard copy of books I love so that I can re-read them whenever I want to.


So sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share my criteria on what I look in a book so that you, my readers who also love books, will know what kind of stories I go for and can decide for your own if you would agree on my future reviews or not.

Thank you so much for dropping by and I hope I can have a lot of love with this new series I am doing. TIll my next post, bye! ^_^

No comments: