Happy Friday everyone!
Fashion King has already finished airing this week and it's time to make a review on this drama :)
Genre: Drama, Romance
Time Slot: Monday-Tuesday
Broadcasting Network: SBS
Airing Period: March 19 - May 22, 2012
Yoo Ah In as Kang Young Gul
Shin Se Kyung as Lee Ga Young
Lee Je Hoon as Jung Jae Hyuk
Kwon Yuri as Choi An Na
Summary: The story evolves around the life of these four young people in the fashion industry.
Kang Young Gul started as a vendor in Dongdaemun market but has a natural talent for designing. He doesn't have any dreams for his future until he met Lee Ga Young.
Lee Ga Young comes from a rich family and her mother is involved in fashion designing but she was orphaned at a young age when her parents died in an accident and all their riches were claimed by one of her mom's employee. She grew up dreaming of becoming a famous fashion designer and since she have a natural talent, she was able to get a full scholarship for New York Fashion School.
Jung Jae Hyuk is a second generation owner of a fashion enterprise. He is the only son of a business magnate and he struggles to make a name for himself in this industry because of his parents' high expectation. He is in love with his ex-girlfriend Choi An Na but suddenly losses interest in her when he met Lee Ga Young.
Choi Anna is a fashion designer who started from the bottom as a clerk in a boutique and she was able to climb up the ladder and was able to work under a very famous Italian designer in New York. She was in love with Jung Jae Hyuk but their love story was prohibited by Jae Hyuk's parents.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS DRAMA
- The actors and actresses are great. Even Yuri who is a newbie in the acting world had done justice to her role. They were able to portray the emotions of each characters perfectly that if they cry, I cry too.
- I won't deny it, but I'm a fan of Yoo Ah In since I've watched him in Sungkyukwan Scandal. I really watched this because of him and I was not disappointed with his acting. I just don't like his role in this drama.
- I really loved the complexity of the story and that you can't predict what the ending will be. This is also a new one for me coz this is the first time I watched something that evolves in fashion.
- I love the outfits hehe. It makes me want to go to Dongdaemun to shop clothes and shoes ^_^
*warning: spoilers alert!*
WHAT I HATE ABOUT THIS DRAMA
- Okay, I really hated this drama starting the 17th episode. I actually did not watch episode 17, 18 and 19 because I hated where it was going. And I think I made the right decision because when I watched the last episode, it just made me a little angry.
I don't know what the writer is thinking but why did he made a nonsense ending? I mean, the story started really good and I enjoyed every bit of it until the time wherein Young Gul and Ga Young started dating. I can't believe the nerve of Young Gul and the stupidity of Ga Young.
- I also hated the repeated conflicts. It's like I'm watching a cycle of violence wherein it keeps on repeating endlessly:
Young Gul fights with Ga Young/Young Gul gets into trouble --> Ga Young goes to Jae Hyuk for help --> Jae Hyuk helps Ga Young --> Young Gul becomes okay and orders Ga Young to leave Jae Hyuk --> Ga Young hurts Jae Hyuk and leaves him in the air to come back to Young Gul --> repeat.
See? This happened around 5x? throughout the drama. I actually got tired seeing Jae Hyuk getting used and getting hurt...I don't like Young Gul too coz he's very overbearing and always gets Ga Young into trouble. I also hated the fact that Ga Young doesn't have a spine and always follow Young Gul even if it's wrong. She doesn't have a voice and will. I actually liked Anna's character more because she knows what she wants and stands up for it.
And the ending, what the heck?! Young Gul was killed and that's it? He lived a very hard life since he was abandoned by his parents and he dies alone and hurting still? What kind of a lead character is that? I had hoped that the story would be like a Cinderella type story and he will become rich and successful and will live happily ever after. I just didn't expect that he will become so cocky and overbearing once he got famous and then will get bankrupt and killed. He even left Ga Young hanging 2x and he still has the guts to say he love her? I don't think so.
The only happy ending among the 4 main character is Anna who reached her goal to become acknowledged as a fashion designer. Well, I guess Jae Hyuk is happy too coz he was able to get Ga Young to come with him to New York and they became a couple.
Storyline: 2/5 - Just because it got boring and irritating towards the ending.
WILL YOU RECOMMEND THIS DRAMA? If you want to see fashionable clothing, then yes, watch this. If you are a fan of SNSD and would love to see Yuri acting for the first time, then watch this because she did great. If you are looking for a heavy drama that will make you cry, yes, watch this coz the actors are great and you will definitely feel the emotions. BUT if you are like me who likes happy ending, then no, skip this film. It is not a happily-ever-after type.
What about you? Have you finished watching this too? What can you say about it? Did you like it or hate it? Share your answers in the comment section below! I would love to know what you're thinking ^_^