Monday, June 18, 2012

Gale Reads: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

I just finished another book, it's called Delirium. This is a much raved book and I got curious what is all the fuss about. My bf's sister kindly let me borrow her copy even if it is an autographed one (Lauren Oliver came to Manila not too long ago) because she also loves the story and she wants me to read it too. So I did. This book has been with me for a week now but I just started reading it a couple of days ago.

TITLE: Delirium
AUTHOR: Lauren Oliver
GENRE: Dystopian, Love story, Young Adult
PART OF A SERIES? Yes -- a Trilogy 

SYNOPSIS: (from http://www.laurenoliverbooks.com/delirium.php)

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing.

They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


MY REVIEW:
How can I say this, I didn't totally hate it but I am not totally thrilled about it either. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with the author. I actually love her writing style and I have not encountered any grammatical problems inside. The setting is also great. It takes a creative mind to be able to conjure up a world like the Portland in Delirium. The way she described the place made me feel like I traveled into the future to the era when this set-up is happening. I can really imagine every scenario very easily.

My problem is the main character....The first 2/3 of the book was so hard for me to read...I can usually finish a book in a day but this book took me 3 or 4 days to finish because I hated Lena. She's so whiny, has a low self-esteem and such a scaredy-cat. I also am not a fan of the "all I can think of is him" attitude because it made me bored, in all honesty. I guess it's my fault. I should have expected it since this is a YA book and it is about a girl who felt love for the first time. But still, I got bored and a little irritated just by being inside Lena's head. I guess I didn't get to love her character as much as a reader should to appreciate the whole story.

I prefer stronger willed female characters. I wanted someone who can fight for what she wants and stick with it. Someone who is not always a damsel-in-distress. If she can fight physically, then that's a very big plus for me but it is not a requirement...haha it sounds like a job advertisement. In summary, I just hate a whiny person who always think she's never understood and that she's not pretty enough and she keeps on repeating those statements over and over and over again. It can make me so irritated that I wanted to kill her haha :)

On the positive note, I like Alex and Hana a lot. They are strong and smart and a lot more exciting. I also enjoyed the unusual ending. The last 1/3 of the book is actually entertaining and very unexpected. It made me want to read book 2 which Pandemonium just to see what happened to Alex and Lena's story. So I guess I'll be reading that soon just to appease my curiosity :)


OVER-ALL RATING: 2.5/5


WILL I RECOMMEND IT? If you liked Matched by Allie Condie and other related dystopian books, then you will love this. Lauren Oliver is a great author, I think I'm just getting old for these kinds of characters  hehe. SO if you're on you teens or are young at heart and love to read stories like these, then this book is for you ^_^


What about you guys? Have you read this series already? What do you think about it? Please share them with me on the comment section below ^_^


Until next time, bye!

1 comment:

Cess Lavie said...

I'm currently reading Delirium now and I'm having the same feeling that you had while reading it. I have to drag my self for almost half of the book. Actually, I don't hate the main female character Lena, I just don't feel her. She's like an apparition floating in the book. At this point, I'm on the verge of being regretful buying my own copy of the three books. Although, I must agree with you Lauren Oliver has good writing style which reminds me actually of J.K Rowling. Well then probably, I don't have much choice but to finish it kasi sayang din yung perang pinambili ko. :D