Monday, June 11, 2012

Gale Reads: Kate Daniels Series (#1-5) by Ilona Andrews

Happy Monday everyone! You might be wondering why I had gone underground again this past week so I will tell you a secret. Here are some of the reasons why I usually disappears for a couple of days: (1) super busy at work (2) personal problems/ a relative is visiting and we're always out, (3) I am busy watching a drama and I've decided to do a marathon run or (4) I am reading a series of books and I can't stop until I'm finished with everything. For this past week, it's been reason #4. I have been reading a lot lately because my sister let me borrowed her IPAD 2 and it's so easy to read my ebooks using that instead of my Ipod Touch. I really wish I could have an ebook reader soon coz it is lighter than and Ipad and less stressful for the eye plus a longer battery life.

This week, I have finished a very famous series called Kate Daniels. It is written by Ilona Andrews (which is actually a pen name for 2 people...a husband and wife tandem. They are writing 2 series at the moment: Kate Daniels and On Edge.) The Kate Daniels Series currently have 5 books under it and a couple of novellas...It is still ongoing and it is said that book 6 will come out in 2013.









Genre: Dystopian, Paranormal, Fantasy
Status of Series: On-going
Author: Ilona Andrews
   
Summary from Ilona Andrews Website:

The world has suffered a magic apocalypse. We pushed the technological progress too far, and now magic returned with a vengeance. It comes in waves, without warning, and vanishes as suddenly as it appears. When magic is up, planes drop out of the sky, cars stall, electricity dies. When magic is down, guns work and spells fail.

It’s a volatile, screwed-up world. Magic feeds on technology, gnawing down on skyscrappers until most of them topple and fall, leaving only skeletal husks behind. Monsters prowl the ruined streets, werebears and werehyenas stalk their prey; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds.


MY REVIEW:

COVER TALK:  I'm not that fond of the covers. I think it's a little tacky and have not done justice to the content. I would have liked it better if the illustration itself was drawn beautifully but these just looks sloppy to me. Also, I think having the lion out of the picture would be better and just focused on the drawing of Kate just like what Nalini Sighn did on her Guild Hunter Series. So I am giving 2/5 stars for the covers.

STORY:
This series is really awesome! I can't put it down and I had this feeling that I needed to read everything in one seating. I read one title per night so I ended up sleeping just a couple of hours this last week so that I can finish this. It's really a page turner and I can't help myself but be sucked into the world of Kate Daniels. I even sometimes dream about being one of the characters in the story hehe ^_^

I super duper love the lead character Kate Daniels. She's one tough cookie to break. She's a trained killer, very smart, learns through her mistakes, loyal, honest, has a very witty mouth and had a very strong will to fight for something she believes in. She's also very powerful because of her magic and skills. I also love the fact that she's not a whiny love-crossed heroine. Oh, I'm really so happy that being in her mind doesn't consist of pinning for her love life. Actually, it even made me wish there's a lot more Curran interaction in the story because I won't categorize this series as a romance novel as it lacks a romantic angle.

The whole series evolves around Kate's fights against the different forces in her world who plans to wreak havoc in their lives in Atlanta. There's a lot of ass kicking, sword wielding and magic powers involved. The way Andrews wrote the scenes is really awesome because I was able to picture everything in my head clearly as if I was there and watching it like an spectator. I applaud Ilona Andrews for being able to use different mythology (Greek, Norwegian, Latin, etc), history, and a lot of magical being (witches, shammans, etc) and melding them together to create a world full of magic and knowledge. 

Having novellas every now and then is fun coz I could read about certain characters from Kate Daniel's world and also reading about Curran's point of view even though they are short are nice.


I really hoped they showed a lot of love and interaction between Curran and Kate because this book needs more loving between them. Curran is rarely on the events and it would be nicer if I could feel a connection that they love each other.

OVER-ALL RATING: 4.5 out of 5



I definitely recommend this book! There's never a dull moment and it is full of twists and turns so you'll be kept on your toes every time. I can't wait for book 6 to be released but it is stated in Goodreads that the expected release would be on 2013...Waah, it's too far!

RECOMMENDED FOR: Readers who like action-packed stories and kick-ass female heroine. Readers who loves dystopian, fantasy and paranormal genre and wants to experience a world full of magical creatures and powers.

Will I buy these books in the bookstore? Definitely! I am planning on going to Powerbooks to get my hands on the paperbacks version because I want to be able to reread them again in book form. As I've said, reading a physical book is way better than reading an electronic version and it's easier to go back to the parts I wanted to read again.


What about you? Have you read this series already? If yes, are you excited for the next installment too? Share your opinions in the comment section below...I would love to hear from you.

Till next time, bye! ^_^


No comments: