Monday, June 4, 2012

Gale Reads: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Hello everyone! I just finished reading a book last night and it took me so long to read again coz I can't use my Ipod touch this last month for some reason. I can't access internet from there and I don't know what's the problem. Anyway, my sister is good enough to let me borrow her Ipad 2 so I can read hehe. I was supposed to read Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews but I didn't feel like it last night and I have decided to go for a fantasy love story that is not too heavy instead and so I ended up reading Of Poseidon by Anna Banks ^_^


Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
Title: Of Poseidon
Author: Anna Banks
Read in: 6 hours

Summary:
Galen is a Syrena prince who went to land to investigate about a human girl said to have the ability to communicate with fishes. 

Emma  is an 18-year-old girl who went on a summer vacation with her best friend on a beach and had survived a tragic shark attack. After the attack, she began experiencing weird things in her body and she doesn't know what it is.

After Galen and Emma met on that eventful day, a lot of hidden things unfolded and it might be the solution for the Syrena Kingdom to survive.


MY REVIEW:

COVER TALK:  I so love the cover! It is not a straight-on-your-face cover that says what the story is about (i.e. an angel for an angel story, a vampire for a vampire book). It is the perfect image of Emma in my opinion. I'm so glad they didn't placed a mermaid picture on the cover hehe ^_^

STORY:
Okay, this book really blew me away! Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this because it is the first mermaid story I have read since I became an adult. My last mermaid story was The Little Mermaid haha and I don't think that really counts for a novel anyway. I'm so glad I am not disappointed after reading this and I can't wait for the next installment!

Anna Banks is a new author and I believe this is her first novel ever published (I'm not 100% sure thought). I like her writing style because she was able to describe the scene very beautifully and it made me imagine what it would look like and feel as if I was there in the scene with the characters. I have rarely found any grammatical error which I am happy about because that's  the usual flaw that I find in YA books and some romance novels.

Going to the characters, I actually am a fan of the fact that the love story between the two main character progressed naturally and is not the typical love at first sight kind of thing. It is really a breath of fresh air for me that they did not start liking and loving each other the first moment their eyes met. Attracted, yes, but not the head over heels kind of way. It is so natural that it made you really want to follow how their feelings progressed.

I love the fact that Emma is not some love-crazed teenager only thinking about the love of her life...She's actually mature, strong, smart and not whiny. Love love her. Galen is also an admirable man because he is very loyal to his family and he really did try to do the right thing. And I love seeing him gets jealous. These two are really a match made in heaven in terms of characters especially the temper  ^_^

I'll end my review here coz I don't want to give out spoilers. All I can say is, you should definitely try reading this book because it's worth it. I hope book two arrives soon coz I want to know what happens to Galen and Emma's love story and also the future of the Syrena civilization ^_^


OVER-ALL RATING: 5 out of 5



 This is really a very entertaining read. I can't put the book down and I ended up finishing the story in 6 hours! I slept around 3am this morning because of this and my eyebags are so big and dark for my date with the BF haha ^_^

RECOMMENDED FOR: I think everyone who loves paranormal love stories, fantasy type adventures, and mermaids would definitely enjoy reading this. It is so much fun and engaging to read that I felt so sad that I can't get my hands on the next book to know what happens next. It really has a good cliff hanger and it hooked me.


Have you read Of Poseidon already? What about a good mermaid story? Please comment below so I can check it out too. ^_^



No comments: