Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Review: Colourpop Dream St. Eyeshadow Palette

Hello everyone! Happy Louis Riel Day fellow Canadians! :)

I am back after a few weeks of being MIA, so sorry for not posting. I wasn't planning on taking that long of a break but life got a hold of me. I worked for almost a month straight without any day off as I was transitioning between 2 jobs and it drained my energy mentally and physically. All I wanted to do when I get home from work is sleep coz I know I will be waking up at 5am again the next day. Finally, my 1st day off came this weekend and I will now have fixed weekends off together with holidays. I'm so happy! I therefore conclude I really can't have a second job as it was so draining LOL. Now, I can start posting regularly again as my schedule is more fixed and predictable. Thank you for bearing with me! 😂



Today we are going to take a look at my first ever Colourpop product - Dream St. eyeshadow palette by KathleenLights. I decided to get a palette from them to check for myself if it really is worth the hype. It is also very affordable so I didn't mind trying it at all, just $16 US for 12 eyeshadows! Out of all the eyeshadow palette released by Colourpop lately, I went for the Dream St. because I loved all the looks created by not only Kathleen Lights herself, but also other Youtubers who have the palette. I was so tired of all the neutrals and the reds that were coming out so seeing blues and greens paired with neutral everyday colors got me sucked in. I also got lip products and brushes too but I haven't tested those out yet so review for the lipsticks will be coming in a separate post in the near future.




*The shade names at the back of the packaging is exactly the same in terms of orientation. 
The 1st color on the upper left is Shooting star while
the blue green pigment on the lower bottom right is mermaid boy*


Here are the finger swatches, applied dry without primer. 
I wanted to show you guys how much intensity it can go when you build it up:



Net wt: 12 x 0.85g (0.03oz)

Price: $16 (around $20 CAD)

Shipping to Canada: FREE for $50 & up (the reason why I got other stuff too coz I didn't want to pay shipping haha 😆)


WHAT I LIKED:

- Nothing can beat the pricing of Colourpop products. Everything is so affordable! This palette alone is a good example, just $1.33 per shadow! 

- Good quality. The shadows are pigmented, easy to blend and buildable. I can amp up the shine of the shimmer shadows easily with a damp brush if I want to or pat it in dry for a much subtle and everyday look. 

- Very versatile. I can create a variety of looks with this palette alone. I won't need to get a supplementary palette coz I have all the shades and finishes I need to create a complete look. You have neutrals, light & dark, pops of colors, matte & shimmer.



- Travel friendly. This palette is very light and thin. Very easy to pack in your travel makeup bag. It also has a strong magnetic closure so it won't open easily.

-  I like how I can build up the intensity slowly. It makes blending so much easier for me. I have a tendency to be very heavy handed so this is perfect for me coz I won't over do it quite easily.

- Lasting power is good too. Even with just a drugstore eyeshadow primer underneath, it can last me at least 8 hours before it starts to fade.

- Coourpop shipping is so hassle free. After I paid, my order got processed and shipped withing 24 or 48 hours. My package also arrived in good condition. Nothing is broken because every piece is packaged carefully.


WHAT I DIN'T LIKE:

- It has some powder kickback because of how it was pressed. The shadows are very soft and buttery so you should be careful and must not dig in your brush when picking up color. Make sure you tap off the excess too so that you won't get any fall out.

- I don't suggest applying the shimmers dry because they are not pigmented enough to give you the high shine glittery look you want but also the glitters migrate everywhere. I can't even pack it with my finger too coz I still get fall outs of glitter all over my face. The only way I can appreciate them is to foil them using a setting spray.

- I do love the cream & rose gold marble design of the packaging but it gets so dirty quite easily. I also wish it came with a mirror for ease of use.


WILL I RE-PURCHASE ANOTHER COLOURPOP EYESHADOW PALETTE? 
I am not actually sure. Maybe if they release something that I really wanted, I might, but the hassle of ordering from the US and waiting for it to come in the mail is not for me. I kept on thinking I will need to pay custom fees that will amount to more than the price I paid for for the products I bought haha. Also, it also has the same price with my NYX ultimate palettes which I loved more and I can easily find in Shoppers Drug Mart. 

FINAL THOUGHT: I am actually not a fan of softly pressed shadows because like I've said, I am heavy handed and I usually am usually in a rush so I don't have the time to be careful every single time I want to do my makeup. This palette needs extra care or else I will get lots of fallout and my palette will be messy from all the kickbacks. This is perfect for anyone who likes taking time in doing their eyeshadow looks. The shadows have great quality and it is a steal especially for the price. 


What about you? Do you love Colourpop products too? Please suggest which items I should try next in the comments section below. :)


Thank you for dropping by!


    

No comments: