Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Review: Kat Von D Saint & Sinner Eyeshadow Palette (+ swatches for Urban Decay Heavy Metals Eyeshadow Palette)

Welcome back! πŸ˜„

As I was checking through my Sephora app for new releases (like usual, window shopping is real  hehe), I noticed that the Kat Von D Saint & Sinner eyeshadow palette is now back on stock! I was actually sad that I won't be able to review this because no one can get it anymore. So this news is great because when Kat Von D says limited edition, once it's out, it is out forever.  



This is my first ever first ever high end palette here in Canada. I have contemplated for so long before I picked it up because (1) it is so expensive & (2) I'm not sure I can get a lot of use out of it. I was actually encouraged to get it by the Youtubers that I respect the opinions of when it comes to quality of products. Jen of JenLuvsReviews, Liv of Livloveshermakeup & Jkissa all raved about the good quality of these eyeshadows & the ingredients so it really made me want to but it more. I convinced myself that with the 20% off from the VIB sale, it would be worth it LOL πŸ˜‚ 





Vegan

Made in Canada  -  Net Wt. 24 x 1g (0.04 oz)





I really liked the packaging. It is not practical but is really gorgeous. It is said that Kat Von D designed this herself. It is shaped like a cathedral and the shade arrangements reflects the colors of stained glasses in churches. The palette is divided into 2- the SAINT side which is the more natural, everyday colors & the SINNER which consists of more vibrant and fun colors. This has a mixture of mattes, shimmers and toppers. 

Look how vibrant the swatches are! These are all finger swatches without any eyeshadow primer. To be honest, I am really attracted to the Sinner side more because I just love colors so much! 




 WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS PALETTE:

- Cruelty free & Vegan. This means this product don't have any carmine (pigments from bugs) in it which is very rare in the cosmetic industry. If I can get a product without killing any kind of creature then that's the best way to go.

- Very pigmented & consistent. I have tried a lot of eyeshadows that swatches beautifully but doesn't translate to your eyelids, and I am glad to say Kat Von D shadows not only applies smoothly on the lid with or without primer but it also stays vibrant throughout the day too.

- Buildable & blendable. I know others prefer to have a very strong pigment at one go but I prefer it to be buildable because it is easier to blend. I can just get some product little by little and then blend. This way, I don't make mistakes easily and I can achieve the look & intensity I want depending on what I like at that moment. 

- I really enjoyed the color selection. I can create a complete look with just this palette. I have shades for crease, highlight, lid, accent & even colors to deepen the look. I won't need other supplemental palettes or eyeshadows because everything I need is here.

- Packaging is sturdy. I can travel with this palette & not worry that the eyeshadows will get crashed. I also love that it has magnetic closure that doesn't open up very easily.

- I am happy that I could create lots of looks from this ranging from no-makeup makeup look to edgy & colorful. I really am surprised that I get inspired whenever I open this even though I am not an artist 


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

- The price. It is so expensive! $83 CAD plus 13% tax, all in all almost a hundred bucks for a palette of 24 shadows. I don't think I can buy this without the discount. 

- Even though I love the packaging, it is so hard to store since it is big. Maybe once I get a vanity table I can look for ways to display it haha

- It says in the packaging that this will expire in 9 months after opening. Although I don't follow the expiry date, I am worried that this will go bad faster than my other eyeshadows.

- Limited edition. I hate limited edition products because once I used it up or something happened to this, how will I replace it?

- Other people might get a hard time creating looks from this palette because of the arrangement of the shadows. I didn't mind it but others can get overwhelmed easily & get stuck on ideas because the shadows are scattered & was not layed out in a way that guides users in creating a look.


RECOMMENDED?
Definitely! You should buy this if you love a very versatile eyeshadow palette & you love playing with colors. These are very pigmented & blends easily so it is perfect for regular makeup lovers like me. I will definitely buy more Kat Von D eyeshadow palettes in the future if there will be new releases since I really love the quality, though I wish her products are not so expensive haha that's really a draw back most of the time.
  
By the way, sorry if I don't have any pictures using this palette. I was planning to do so but my eyelids were still super dry & flaky until now from the extreme weather conditions here in Winnipeg (-40 degrees!). I am not wearing any makeup for the last 2 weeks now because my skin from head to toe are so dry. I promise to post makeup looks soon once I get better skin condition. Crossing my fingers my new moisturizer will help.

  
BONUS:

I got the Urban Decay Heavy Metals eyeshadow palette last Christmas when it went on sale for just $35 from $72 CAD. I was actually aiming to get it when it first came out but I can't get over the price especially since I just bought the $82 KVD palette. Lucky for me, they went on sale and was able to grabbed it before it went out of stock. Although I have seen it on Shoppers Drug Mart website a week ago so I'm not sure if they still have some on stock. 



I have actually not used this yet on my eyes, but based on first impression with the finger swatches, this will look bomb! I bought this because I love very shimmery eyeshadow looks but I hate the need to use glitter glue, so this is perfect. Also, it has all the shades I will need to create a look & it will go nicely with my other eyeshadow palette that lacks glittery colors. 




Bulk Made in USA, Assembled in Dominican Republic 
Net Wt. 20 x 0.8g (0.03 oz)





What are your favorite eyeshadow palette? Please share them on the comment section below. πŸ˜„  


Thank you for dropping by! 

No comments: