Saturday, March 24, 2012

Gale Reads: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

As I've mentioned this morning, I will do a review of the book Halo by Alexandra Adornetto which I was able to finish reading last night.


Alexandra Adornetto started writing when she was still a teenager. She wrote Halo in 2010 when she was only 18 years old. You can read her bio here.

Halo is the first book in the Halo Trilogy. As I've said, it was released in 2010 and was followed by Hades in 2011 and the last part Heaven is scheduled to be released this year.

I chose to read this book because (1) I got attracted with the cover and (2) it is about angels. If I will grade this book by the cover alone, I will give it 100%. I love love love it! It's so perfect ^_^

Since I was a teenager, I love reading and watching stories about angels...regardless if they were fallen or not. I read some reviews online before and it seems to have quite a follower so I pushed through and read it.

The story is set in a small town called Venus Cove. Three angels (the archangel Gabriel and Ivy and Bethany) were sent there to keep the peace in the community and counteract the evil forces that are wrecking havoc there. The problem arised when the youngest angel, Bethany, was sent to high school and fell in love with a human boy named Xavier Woods.


My Verdict:

So, okay, I don't really know what to say. I think it's actually my fault because I have quite a big expectation for it and it did not meet that. The idea of the story is great but the execution is not. I hated every moment that Beth comes into the scene which is ridiculous because 95% of the book is through her perspective. I hated her dumbness the most. Where can you find an angel that lacks so much wisdom and commonsense? I hated her damsel-in-distress act and her self-centered view on things too. To tell you guys honestly, I hated everything about her, period.

I guess the author being a teenager can only give so much when it comes to expressing things. And of course, because she was living the experience of a high school student at the time she wrote the book, the events and also the point of view will be more realistic on what a senior high school student thinks. I don't know, really, I'm speechless because I'm so disappointed.

The only thing I like about Halo aside from the book cover are Xavier Woods and the 2 other angels. That's it. And since this is a trilogy, I will stop here and not read the other 2 anymore. I'm so happy that I read this as an ebook and I did not pay for this.


OVER-ALL RATING: 1.5/5. If not for the cover and story line, I would give this a lower score.

WILL YOU RECOMMEND THIS? No. This is such a waste of time. There are a lot better Young Adult books out there like Clarity and Iron Fey.

But if you're still a teenager, maybe around 10-16 years old, you probably will enjoy this because the way it was written and how the story was told is through the eyes of a teenager so you'll probably be able to relate with her.


Thank you for dropping by! ^_^

No comments: