Friday, September 28, 2012

Review: Tarte Amazonian Clay Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer

Happy Friday everybody! As promised, here's my final thoughts on the popular TM from Tarte :)

You can read my initial opinion about this product here.


PRODUCT: Tarte Amazonian Clay Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer
SHADE: Agent 06 (AKA Veil)
CONTENT: 50ml / 1.7 fl.oz
MADE IN: USA 

INGREDIENTS: 

PRICE: Got it for P1,750 at Stuff In Style

MY SKIN-TYPE: combination-oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin
UNDERTONE: Yellow
FOUNDATION SHADE REFERENCE: Ellana French Vanilla, Lauress Soft Yellow, and I'm around MAC NC20-25 (I think..I haven't been to a MAC counter for a long time)


PROS:

- Very light on the face. I don't feel like I'm wearing anything on even if I applied 2-3 layers.

- Has sun protection (SPF 20) which is enough for everyday wear. You can definitely skip sunscreen if you're not gonna spend a lot of time outside. (I just hope they added PA protection too)

- Didn't cause me any breakouts or allergies.

- 100% vegan and cruelty free

- Good staying power for a tinted moisturizer. Lasts the whole day on me.

- Gives an even-toned and healthy skin which looks really natural. I have fooled a lot of people that I have great skin coz I don't look like I have foundation on my face hehe :)

- Doesn't oxidize on me.

- You can still achieve a natural look even if you applied more layers.
*1 layer is sheer and looks like your normal skin but more even. See? I don't look like I have anything on.

*2 layers is a light-medium coverage that still looks natural but can cover some veins and light pigmentations.
NOTE: You need to use your fingers and pat it on your skin to build coverage. This is the only way I can build it upto a light-medium...using brush doesn't do anything hehe.

- It gives me a dewy look if I get oily during the day...I can actually skip blotting and retouching because whenever I oiled up I get this healthy glow on my skin that looks natural rather than my usual it's-so-shiny-&-oily-i-can-fry-with-it skin that I get with MMU foundations.

Here's a full makeup look applied around 8am.
FOTD: 2 layers of Tarte TM, Ellana Sheer velvet powder, Ellana blush in Intimate, Tony Moly Backstage gel liner in black, Watson cherry lipbalm, H&M cherry lipgloss.

Picture below is taken after 6 hours (around 2pm) from application without any kind of blotting or retouching.
I still look fresh right? My liptint and blush faded already but my skin still looks good even though I perspired a lot during lunch time :)
CONS:

- It's a little sticky while applying the TM...luckily, once it dries up, it's okay. If I'm on the rush, I just use a blotting sheet before I apply my setting powder :)

- The shimmer that gives off a glowing look is very obvious and it can bother some people. I'm okay with it but others might not.

- The shade gets a little darker when you layer it up if you are trying to achieve a higher coverage. One layer is my exact match but if I applied 2 or more layers, it gets a shade darker so I need to apply a light powder on top.


OVER-ALL RATING: 4/5


I really, really am in love with the naturally glowy healthy skin & oil control it gives my skin...oh, and also the lightness of it. I just hated the fact that it's a pain to build the coverage to a medium because (1) I need to use a lot of product which is a waste of money and (2) it gets darker as I layer it up. I definitely suggest you just get a separate foundation for occasions where you need heavier coverage. It will save time, effort and money...BUT nevertheless, I am in love with this product and I will definitely repurchase if I used this up :)


Can you guys suggest a good medium to heavy coverage that's great for oily skin gals that is from a cruelty-free brand? Hope to hear lots of suggestion from you all :)


Thanks for dropping by!

1 comment:

The Beauty Adventure said...

I have been eyeing this for soooo long but can't bring myself to buy it. I have super oily skin so I'm just not sure if it'll last on me. I gotta give in though...I wanna try this so bad!