Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Review: NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation

Hello everyone! Happy Hearts Day to all of you! :)

Today, I am going to review one of NARS foundation. This is the 1st NARS foundation that I have tried so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have been testing this for a couple of months now, I use it every weekend when I go out. I haven't been wearing any makeup on a daily basis for 6 months now because I work night shift & I usually prefer to sleep in than wake up early to get ready haha. Anyway, I was able to avail a 5ml sample of the NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation in Ceylan late last year. Someone was selling 5ml sample sizes of her high end foundations for less than Php500 so I decided to grab the chance & try this foundation since I have been curious with it for so long. I just can't get myself to spend more than 2k for a bottle of foundation that I'm not sure if it will work for me as this has a lot of mixed reviews online. 


 This 5ml bottle costs Php 450

Per NARS website

"Full, natural-looking coverage with unexpectedly weightless, 16-hour wear. Highly pigmented and perfectly balanced, this breakthrough formula builds and blends effortlessly with just one drop—the result of exclusive innovation uniquely designed to deliver long-wearing full coverage, weightlessly. Shake, pump and blend in sections for complete coverage that's completely natural looking."

This has 20 shades available.

Comes in a 1oz bottle with a pump.


WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS FOUNDATION:

- Buildable medium to full coverage that still keeps it lightweight feel. Even if I build it up to full coverage, it doesn't feel heavy on my skin. I usually forget I was wearing anything on my face because my skin feels it can still "breathe"

- I love the consistency. A small drop can cover my whole face & it will give medium coverage too. This 5ml bottle still has a lot of usage left since I just need to use a small amount each time.

- Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. I didn't itch & break out. Although I'm not sure if that's because I didn't use it everyday, but still it didn't cause me to have any acne right after use which sometimes happens to me when I use heavy foundations.

- It doesn't smell like paint. This has a very light scent to it & it doesn't bother me.

- Hygienic. If you buy the full size bottle, it has a pump! We all know NARS foundations don't come with pumps and you need to buy a separate one. But this one already has one & it disperses half a drop so that you have control on the amount of product to use.

- This looks very natural on me because the finish is demi-matte, it still looks like my skin but better specially if under natural lighting.


 1 layer of the foundation

- It doesn't control my oils especially on my T-zone (I do get oily after the 3hrs mark) but luckily it just looks dewy looking and does not make me look like a grease-ball

- NARS is a cruelty free brand even though it has a parent company that is not. This is a personal preference so do bear in mind that personally it is okay with me as long as it is proven that the brand itself doesn't test on animals.

Here's some shots in natural lighting with full face of makeup:



Foundation is set with Ben Nye Banana powder for added oil control.


WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

- This clings to dry patches like no other. I have combination oily skin & this tends to cling to the dry skin on my cheeks, on the sides of my nose & in between my eyebrows. It doesn't look good.

- This also settles on my crater-like acne scars & fine lines around the eyes making them more obvious.

- This doesn't have a great oil control which I really need since I work for long hours and I live in a place where it has humid weather most of the time.

- This oxidizes on me! Ceylan is a shade or 2 lighter than my skin tone upon application but this gets darker as the day goes on. I usually look a shade or 2 darker after 8-10 hours which made me look "dirty" and uneven since my neck is lighter than my face.

- Sometimes give a masked effect on flash photography even though it doesn't have any SPF. I look too white like a geisha :(


Low lighting with flash photography from cellphone

-This foundation slides around on my face especially on my nose area whenever I am wearing my glasses which is 98% of the time.

- this is expensive.


OVERALL VERDICT:  3.5/5



I do love it because it is very lightweight & my skin feels comfortable when wearing it plus it doesn't make me breakout. I will definitely wear this foundation if I'm just going out for a short time & I am not getting photographed on low light situations like inside a bar. This is definitely for people with normal skin type & wants a natural looking foundation.


WILL I BUY THIS AGAIN? No. I don't think I am willing to spend that much money on a foundation that only looks great for a few hours. I tend to be out around 10-12 hours per day & I want my makeup looking fresh  until I need to remove it at the end of the day. My BB creams tend to last & wear better than this one. Also, this oxidizes badly on me. I don't think this is great in humid weather since it melts quite easily.


What about you? Have you tried this foundation yet? What are your favorite cruelty free foundations that is good for oily skin & summer? Please share them with me on the comment section below ^_^


Thank you so much for dropping by!

No comments: