Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Gale Reads: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter#5) by Nalini Singh

Hello everyone! Just finished another book last night. My sister let me borrowed her iPad again so I was able to read my ebooks, yay! Thank you Mei! :)



TITLE: Archangel's Storm
AUTHOR: Nalini Singh
GENRE: Dystopian, Romance, Paranormal, Angels, Vampires
SERIES: Guild Hunter Series #5 - Jason
PLOT: (according to Goodreads)
With wings of midnight and an affinity for shadows, Jason courts darkness. But now, with the Archangel Neha’s consort lying murdered in the jewel-studded palace that was his prison and her rage threatening cataclysmic devastation, Jason steps into the light, knowing he must unearth the murderer before it is too late.

Earning Neha’s trust comes at a price—Jason must tie himself to her bloodline through the Princess Mahiya, a woman with secrets so dangerous, she trusts no one. Least of all an enemy spymaster.

With only their relentless hunt for a violent, intelligent killer to unite them, Jason and Mahiya embark on a quest that leads to a centuries-old nightmare… and to the dark storm of an unexpected passion that threatens to drench them both in blood.


COVER TALK:
There are 2 covers available for this book and I'm loving this version than the other one.


I think it looks great with all the shadows surrounding this black-winged angel. It really signified Jason through and through. I am also happy that they didn't particularly showed the angel's face in the cover so I can still create and imagine what he looks like just from the author's description.


MY REVIEW:

I am a fan of the Guild Hunter Series because it is the best among the genre of angels and vampires. It is not Biblical in any way and does not have exaggerated  information. The angels here are beings with extreme powers and capabilities and I liked it that the author didn't put any religious annotations whatsoever on them. I really don't like mixing religious information with fantasy fiction because it really ruins the story for me (like the Halo Trilogy). The vampires here are also just regular mortals that were changed/made by the angels so that they can be their immortal servants. It is also  sort of a dystopian compared to fantasy because it is set up on a different Earth where angels and vampires are roaming freely and the mortals are at the bottom of the social pyramid.

In Archangel's Storm, Jason is the lead character. He is the spymaster of the Seven -- the elite group of people that assists and protect Archangel Raphael -- and one of the most intriguing member aside from Aodhan. He is actually the second member to have had a story... Raphael being the first (you can read my review on his books here) followed by Dimitri (Archangel's Blade) the leader of the group. I am guessing either Aodhan or Venom will be the next Seven who will have a book because they were both mentioned extensively in this one :)

I really liked this book because aside from being a page-turner, it is also full of information about the "whys" when it comes to Jason. It also consists of background information about Neha and her family which can  have an impact on future Guild Hunter stories. I also enjoyed the couple of chapters showing Dimitri and Honor's story because this made the book series a lot more fluid in transition from one book to the next. We  also have glimpses of Raphael and Elena which is great. I miss reading about them and knowing how Elena is coping about her transition to becoming an angel. 

Lastly, I love the woman Nalini chose for Jason. I think Princess Mahiya is the perfect match for him because she is strong and courageous and they both share the same childhood - very dark, traumatic and full of pain -- which makes them understand each other perfectly. I really believe Nalini hit it big this time compared to Dimitri. 



Note: I can't believe I forgot to upload a Gale Reads about Dimitri's story. I will reread it again before I post a review because it was so long already since I've read that hehe :)

All my concerns before with the first 3 books are settled. I guess I just got a bad copy of the ebook that time because this one have a better version -- Italized recollection part -- so I didn't get confused like before. My only remaining concern right now are the typographical errors and few grammatical mistakes. There's a couple of them all throughout the story and I'm quite picky about that in books. I hope the proofreaders do a better job next time.

OVERALL RATING: 4.5/5


I love everything - the story, character development, conclusion -- except for the errors in writing. Those really made me off-track and I like reading flawlessly so that bothered me. Nevertheless, this is a great read and is definitely worth the wait.

I hope book 6 will come out soon! Can't wait to read more about this world Nalini Sing created :)

WILL I RECOMMEND THIS? Definitely! This series is definitely a must read to all book lovers especially those who love romance in the paranormal/dystopian genre :)

Thanks for dropping by!

No comments: